The Federation of Egalitarian Communities
The Federation of Egalitarian Communities is a network of communes spread across North America. We range in size and emphasis from small agricultural homesteads to village-like communities to urban group houses.
Each of the Federation communities:
- Holds its land, labor, income and other resources in common.
- Assumes responsibility for the needs of its members, receiving the products of their labor and distributing these and all other goods equally, or according to need.
- Practices non-violence
- Uses a form of decision making in which members have an equal opportunity to participate, either through consensus, direct vote or right of appeal or overrule.
- Works to establish the equality of all people and does not permit discrimination on the basis of race, class, creed, ethnic origin, age, sex or sexual orientation.
- Acts to conserve natural resources for present and future generations while striving to continually improve ecological awareness and practice.
- Creates processes for group communication and participation and provides an environment which supports people's development